Our laboratory, entitled IAME for “Infection, Antimicrobials, Modelling, Evolution”, is an alliance from basic to clinical and population-based research towards medical progress in the fight against infectious diseases. It belongs to the French Institute for Medical Research (INSERM) and to the Universities Paris Diderot and Paris Nord. It depends of two departments of the French Agency of Life and Health Sciences (AVISEAN), Infectious Diseases and Public Health. Located at the Paris Diderot / Bichat Medical School campus in the north of Paris and connected to several University Hospitals in close proximity, it provides a unique opportunity to mix basic scientists and clinicians involved in infectious disease research.
Led by Erick Denamur (Director) and France Mentré (Assistant Director), the lab is organised in five interconnected teams.
- Team QEM “Quantitative Evolutionary Microbiology”, directed by Olivier Tenaillon, develops the most basic research by combining theoretical and mechanistic models to unravel the dynamics of adaptation.
- Team EVRest “Ecology, Evolution and Therapeutic of Virulence and Resistance in Bacteria”, directed by Erick Denamur, achieves a better understanding of the ecological, evolutionary and molecular parameters allowing the adaptation of natural isolates of the Escherichia coli species to their various lifestyles, especially those involved in the emergence of virulence and antimicrobial resistance and develops new original therapeutic approaches to fight this pathogen.
- Team STAR “Antiretroviral Resistance, Genetic Diversity and Therapeutic Strategies in HIV Infection”, directed by Diane Descamps, focuses on drug resistance, viral diversity, pathogenesis and therapeutic aspects of HIV infection.
- Team BIPID “Biostatistical Modelling, Pharmacometrics and Clinical Investigation in Infectious Diseases”, directed by France Mentré, both develops and improves statistical methods for analysis of longitudinal data obtained in clinical trials and performs clinical investigation in the treatment of several infectious diseases.
- Team DeSCID “Decision Sciences in Infectious Disease Prevention, Control and Care”, directed by Yazdan Yazdanpanah, is studying at the human population level the transmission and natural history of infectious diseases, mainly HIV, HCV and highly resistant bacterial infections, with an evaluation of the impact and cost of interventions to reduce the transmission and burden of these diseases.